Author Topic: Paxon Terminal Software and Flex32  (Read 7276 times)

USPacket

• Administrator
Paxon Terminal Software and Flex32
« on: May 19, 2009, 07:40:11 AM »
Paxon Packet Radio Terminal and Flex32

by Charles Brabham N5PVL

If you have recently set up Flex32, you really owe it to yourself to try out Paxon, a great terminal program that is very efficient with Flex32, directly accessing the FlexNet kernal rather than having to use a driver.

The web-site, help files and installation program for Paxon are all in German, but the program comes up ready for English speaking users. This tutorial will guide you through the web-site and installation of this excellent software. - You will find that it is well worth the effort!

Getting the Software

The first thing to do is to go the download page at the Paxon web-site:

Paxon Download Page
http://www.paxon.de/download.php

The Paxon web-site is all in German, but when you get the software installed, it comes up in English so don't worry about that. In the center of the download page is a link for the file: SetupPaxon1042.exe

( 1042 was the version when this tutorial was written. This number will change as new versions are released.)

Download this file, and save it somewhere on your hard-drive as a backup installer. You can also install from that location, if you prefer.

Setting Up the Software:

Run the installation program SetupPaxon1042.exe. ( Or a later version, if available )

Here's the opening screen for this installer:

Click "Weiter" to continue...

This screen wants to be sure that you have read and understood all of the legal mumbo-jumbo. After carefully reading the mumbo-jumbo, choose the upper of the two selections as shown above, and then click "Weiter" to continue:

Now it wants to establish where the program will be installed. It's probably best to go with the default location shown above. Continue as usual, with the "Weiter" button.

This is where it sets up a Paxon folder in your START menu:

Here it puts an Icon on your Desktop:

This screen displays the installation options chosen. When you click "Installieren", the software installation begins.

The installation is finished! Click "Fertigstellen" to leave the install program. If you want to, you can click the "Paxon Starten" box so that Paxon will run immediately.

This is the Paxon logo flashscreen that comes up when the program starts.

And here is the Paxon terminal!

The first time you run Paxon, you get this little "First Steps" help screen in English. If you want to look at it later, it is in the program's "Help" menu. The actual Windows help files for Paxon are all written in German. If you follow the basic steps outlined here though, all should go well for you.

Here I have clicked "Tools", then "Settings" to obtain this setup box. It should come up with the "General" tab selected, as shown here.

Now I am going to click the "Add" button, in order to enter my callsign and the SSID's I want to use.

In this little pop-up box, I have entered my callsign, and indicated which SSID's I wanted to use. If you are unsure about what SSID's to use, click the "All" button, before clicking "OK" to move on to the next step.

Now it displays your callsign and SSID's in the "originating callsigns" box.

Finished with this, it is time to click the "Devices" tab, and move on to the next step.

Right now there are no device drivers listed in the box, so click the "Add" button.

Choose "PC FlexNet" and click "Add"...

Now it shows PC FlexNet as your driver. Note that FlexNet is not active yet.

Assuming you have Flex32 installed and ready to run, clicking "Apply" should cause FlexNet to come up "Ready" as shown here. You may have to manually start Flex32 the first time, but it should come up automatically for Paxon thereafter.

If you have trouble getting this to work automatically, create a PATH statement in AUTOEXEC.BAT that shows the path to your FlexNet directory.

Once you get FlexNet listed here as "Ready", then click "OK", and on the main (terminal) screen, click the "Connect" button for the next step.

Now enter the callsign for the Station you want to connect to, then put your own call in the "Callsign" box, and choose which port in your Flex32 installation you want to use for the connect. Here I am connecting to the local FlexNet node, N5PVL-3, with the Soundmodem.

Hey, it worked! - I hope it works for you too!

Try browsing around in Paxon's "Settings" and you will be amazed at all of the nice things this program can do. I find it to be the very best I have ever used for file transfers, remote SYSOP'ing, and as a personal terminal. I hope that you enjoy it too, and that this tutorial has been helpful in getting you started with Paxon!

Good luck!    Charles Brabham, N5PVL
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:49:49 AM by USPacket »